Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

hemachatus haemachatus

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-01-03

hemachatus haemachatus Empty
PostSubject: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 8:54 am

My baby, has an attitude problem though!

hemachatus haemachatus DSCF3692

hemachatus haemachatus DSCF3677

We had some fun with this, but had to clean the lens ever so often.
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:02 am

What an amazing pic Bogga, and so glad to see you here again hemachatus haemachatus 3521

An attitude problem - please tell us more. Just how bad and how many times did you have to clean the lens? LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:23 am

Reptile Rescue Den wrote:
What an amazing pic Bogga, and so glad to see you here again hemachatus haemachatus 3521

An attitude problem - please tell us more. Just how bad and how many times did you have to clean the lens? LOL

Hi Denise, Ja, Ive been rather busy, and in and out so its just been crazy!

That Rinkhals is only a Juvie, and about 40cm in length and very Fast! He is very reluctant to bite though, I dont take chances with him, but from what I couldve seen with the mice, he prefers to spit, He doesnt eat mice, but geckos instead! so anything that does not end up as food, gets spit at!

Its amazing to see the action he makes, cos unlike the true Cobras (spitters) the Rinkhals lunges forward while hissing, thus "spitting" venom at you. Caution though!! should the venom drip into a cut on your body, you could be in for a surprise, thus before I handle him, i give myself a once over, just in case! And he can lift about half the length of his body off the ground, sometimes it seems as if he can go higher!
He is not bad to handle though, once I have him on the hook he is ok, but occasionaly he even hoods, and spits while on the Hook. I think he is possesse Evil or Very Mad d!

Should the venom get in your eyes, well thats another story, I dont have first hand experience though! but I can imagine it would burn like hemachatus haemachatus 632894 , and might involve a trip to the doctor!
hemachatus haemachatus DSCF3685
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:54 am

Wow he sounds a real handful! Very impressive also. What is the range when he spits?
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 12:15 pm

At the moment he is not as accurate as he can be, unless I handle him at eye level, but I have felt the spray of venom at about 1.5 to 2 metres away. But just in case, I still use protective eye wear.

We just recently received another sighting of Rinkhals on a farm in Napier, about 180km from here, when the weather heats up, say round November, the owner has invited us to have a look around on his farm to see what is there, im hoping to get a few shots of a wild banded Rinkhals! remember, we only take pictures, and leave footprints! hemachatus haemachatus 191391
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 12:34 pm

Well I will look forward to seeing your piccies. hemachatus haemachatus 3521
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 3:16 pm

Ringhals (Hemachatus haemachatus)

Ø Description:

Ø A small to medium size snake usually 90 cm to 120 cm in length, but can reach 1, 5 meter.

Ø The snake is closely related to the true cobras, but differs from them in having keeled dorsal scales, in producing live young and in the maxilla bone only carrying the fangs.

Ø In all other respects in acts like a cobra, being able to rear up and spread a hood.

Ø This snake is more robust in build, compared to similar size cobras, and a specimen of 1, 2 meter becomes quite bulky.

Ø The colour is usually a light grey when young turning darker and becoming black when about 1 meter in length.

Ø In certain parts of it distribution it has a light yellow or orange colour with dark brown or black bands.

Ø The ventral part is normally dark brown or black with one to three white bands on the throat.

Ø The scales are keeled and in 17-19 rows at mid-body.

Ø Fixed front fangs.

Ø The fangs are modified with the discharge orifice facing the front, allowing this snake to spray its venom at an attacker’s eyes.

Ø Venom:

v The venom is both neurotoxin and cytotoxin.

v The effects are not as potent as those of other cobras, and there are few bites as this snake tends to spit rather than bite.

v The bite presents as a PPS syndrome and the local effects of a bite can be quite severe, and the risk of a finger amputation is quite high if a serious bite is sustained on such an extremity.

v Neurological effects will also manifests and include general paralysis and impairment breathing, which can lead to death.

v Estimated lethal dose is 50-60mg and the venom glands have a capacity of 80-120mg, average yield is 100mg.

Ø Distribution:

v Found from the Western Cape along the south coast, northwards into KZN, Free State, Mpumalange, Gauteng, North West and also Limpopo.

v Further north it is only found in the Inyanga district of Zimbabwe.

Ø Habitat:

v This snake prefers moist grassland areas.

v It is common on the Highveld, but avoids bushveld areas.

Ø Habits:

v This snake is active during the day.

v Starts its day with a period of basking in the sun, usually from about 8 to 9 am, after which it will start moving around in search of prey, which includes frogs, toads, rodents, birds and their eggs, lizards and other snakes.

v I t will raid chicken runs, and is often found near homesteads in search of prey or water.

v Dogs on the Highveld in the Johannesburg area kill many of these snakes, the dogs normally ending up with red, inflamed eyes.

v Occasionally the dogs may end the bitten, and smaller dogs may die before they can treated by the vet.

v This snake will usually flee, but if cornered it will face its attacker, rear the front of the body off the ground and spread a broad hood, exposing the black white bands on the throat.

v A very impressive sight!

v From this position it will lung forward and spray its venom at an attacker, the body hitting the ground and at the same time the snake emits a loud hiss.

v If the threat from an attacker is kept up, the snake may drop to the ground and turn the front of the body over, open the mouth and lay there as if dead.

v A very effective ploy that has fooled many people as well as dogs to leave it alone.It will later come to life again and move off.
Back to top Go down
Martin S
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 7:27 am

Venom in the eyes burns like a mo fo.
Been spat in the eyes once or twice Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.madmartin.co.za
Martin S
Egg
Egg

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 7:34 am

Here's a few nice one's

hemachatus haemachatus 100_1204
hemachatus haemachatus 100_1002
hemachatus haemachatus 100_1008
hemachatus haemachatus 100_1013
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 8:47 am

Nice pics Martin!
I handled a very aggro spitter a bit ago, and wore a full face visor instead of the usual goggles, dam those snakes really foul up your visor, I will NEVER unless I really need to, handle a spitter, without eyewear lol! Im not looking forward to that pain!
But amazing thing of these snakes are they are very reluctant to bite, but spits like mad!
Back to top Go down
Martin S
Egg
Egg

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 8:54 am

The worst so far, Black Spitting Cobra.
It feels like someone flung a glass of water at your face.
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 10:22 am

OMG thats quite an amount of venom then! Shocked
Back to top Go down
tilly790
Posting Python
Posting Python

Number of posts : 1295
Registration date : 2007-12-27

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 5:16 pm

lovely snake though
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 6:12 pm

Martin S wrote:
The worst so far, Black Spitting Cobra.
It feels like someone flung a glass of water at your face.

This black spitter kept spraying the camera lens.

hemachatus haemachatus DSCN2384-1
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 8:35 pm

You know I find all this facinating you know guys, I really do. Gotta hand it to ya ..... you all got balls. lol!
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 9:16 pm

..... you all got balls.

The political term would be testacles. I thing that word maybe spelt incorrectly. pirat
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 11:51 pm

Well was gonna say bollox LOL but was trying to be polite for a change lol!
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 8:32 am

You know I find all this facinating you know guys, I really do. Gotta hand it to ya ..... you all got balls. lol!
Denise, I think we all still have that fear, and I think thats what keeps us from being tagged daily, but loads of experience me thinks, Im still an egg at this game, these two are probably retiring from this game already lol! Sometime you look at a snake and how its looking at you, and you have to figure out how to get that snake in a box! but those okes with the mambas and spitters in the north has their hands full!
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 8:41 am

By The Way, A snake Park close by has an awsome jet black Rinkhals that is posessed by some evil spirit, you walk past and he hoods!, I will post a pic later, Martin, Im gonna have to come pay you guys a visit soon.
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 8:51 am

If I can find one that has this colour!! I would be liking it a whole lot!

hemachatus haemachatus Snakepark031

hemachatus haemachatus Reptileworldworldofbirds007

Maybe when Im out there I wanna ask the owner to take him out for a few closer shots lol!
Oh it was taken at Imhoff snake Park
Back to top Go down
Martin S
Egg
Egg

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 9:12 am

That is a gorgeous Rinkhals. If you take it out......runnnnnn!!!!! Fast!!!
And then mail it to me hemachatus haemachatus 3521

Quote :
Denise, I think we all still have that fear, and I think thats what keeps us from being tagged daily, but loads of experience me thinks, Im still an egg at this game, these two are probably retiring from this game already Sometime you look at a snake and how its looking at you, and you have to figure out how to get that snake in a box! but those okes with the mambas and spitters in the north has their hands full

Retire my ring!!! Razz
I think fear is a wrong word. A healthy respect for ability is probably the right way to do it. Unfortunately, the only way to get better is to keep doing it. But keep doing it and you are bound to get bitten sooner or later. Most vens aren't too bad to manipulate, but the vens with brains make it tough: Mambas, Forest Cobras, King Cobras, Taipans etc.
I've boxed and bagged them all, but its never easy.
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 9:27 am

Ja, Martin, I agree, for me fear keeps me on my toes, Fear of hospitals, needles, ladies in white (well the older ones anyway ) and a WHOLE lot of pain and cash ( medical aid takes the cash factor out) and yes I know I will get bitten sooner or later, hopefully neuro and not cyto! Laughing
But all that being said, I think there has to be that level of confidence (not arrogace) needed to maintain when handling a HOT, just that moment of uncertainty and that slight hesitation, and you are right those clever snakes pick up on how you do things, and just when you are not 100% there......

When I saw that Rinkhals,it was love a first sight! but he is a CRRRRAzy animal! I have no doubt the moment he is out he will chase whoever is around like Jack Russel would!!!
Very Happy and those without Visors will be doing a whole lot of crying!
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 9:35 am

Bogga wrote:
Fear of hospitals, needles, ladies in white

When the dress code changes to black you have no worries.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hemachatus haemachatus   hemachatus haemachatus Empty

Back to top Go down

hemachatus haemachatus
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Exotic Rescue Forum :: General Help & Chat :: Snakes-
Jump to: