Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

Psammophylax rhombeatus

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Psammophylax rhombeatus Empty
PostSubject: Psammophylax rhombeatus   Psammophylax rhombeatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 9:30 am

Got a call for this animal, strange thing is , its very healthy, I tried feeding it pinks rat and mice, and some other items, but eventually it took frogs!
The thing is I caught it in a suburb close to a golf course, but exciting for me, as i neva wouldve thought there would be any snakes there besides the usual slugeaters.

Psammophylax rhombeatus IMAGE_071
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Psammophylax rhombeatus   Psammophylax rhombeatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:12 am

Very nice Rhombic Skaapsteker. Had to look that up LOL.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: Psammophylax rhombeatus   Psammophylax rhombeatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:28 am

Reptile Rescue Den wrote:
Very nice Rhombic Skaapsteker. Had to look that up LOL.
\
LOL! sorry, ja here we prefer using scientific names most times, bu its an awsome specimen, the moment the weather heats up, he is going back into the wild.
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Psammophylax rhombeatus   Psammophylax rhombeatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 11:58 am

Awe well good luck with the release!
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Psammophylax rhombeatus   Psammophylax rhombeatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 3:11 pm

This one I caught a couple of weeks ago. It is a Spotted Skaapsteker (Psammophylax rombeatus)

Psammophylax rhombeatus SkaapstekerSpottedSkaapstekerPsammophylax rhombeatus SkaapstekerSpottedSkaapsteker1
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: Psammophylax rhombeatus   Psammophylax rhombeatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 3:24 pm

Nice one there Snakes Inc! I wouldve gone with a striped on that one, but just shows the diverse morphs on these animals. what was the region though? I got that one in Sunbird Park. Close to the Mowbray golf course
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

PostSubject: Re: Psammophylax rhombeatus   Psammophylax rhombeatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 4:04 pm

This one was caught near Blouberg. All these guys are the striped kind up the west coast. Last week I got one out of a car engine behind the grid. I have not released it due to the weather.
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Psammophylax rhombeatus   Psammophylax rhombeatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 6:31 pm

They seem like Garter Snakes! So are the Africa's version of Garter Snakes then like our native Grass Snakes seem to be lol
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

PostSubject: Re: Psammophylax rhombeatus   Psammophylax rhombeatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 6:52 pm

I caught this chap and was showing the owner and friend so the friend took some pics. The snake then attached itself to my finger and refused to let go.

The snakes name is a Skaapsteker = Sheep stabber. In the old days the farmers thought these guys could kill sheep but the venom is not near as strong as that.
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Psammophylax rhombeatus   Psammophylax rhombeatus EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 7:28 pm

Ahhhhhhhhhhh so venomous... hmmmm still look like garter snakes though lol
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: Psammophylax rhombeatus   Psammophylax rhombeatus EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 8:40 am

Ja, as they are rear fanged, they dont envenomate the usual way, but instead they chew on you.
Envenomation by this snake on a healthy person, wouldnt allow to more han a slight headache, if any symptoms at all.
But skaapstekers are nice looking snakes, and once in grass Gone in a few seconds!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Psammophylax rhombeatus   Psammophylax rhombeatus Empty

Back to top Go down

Psammophylax rhombeatus
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Exotic Rescue Forum :: General Help & Chat :: DWA-
Jump to: