Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

Keeping a Boa constrictor outside

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
the fox
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-01-01

Keeping a Boa constrictor outside Empty
PostSubject: Keeping a Boa constrictor outside   Keeping a Boa constrictor outside EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 4:03 pm

Hi

I was thinking that maybe at some stage, not soon but i a year or two. That i would get a boa constrictor (hopefully a red tail but not for sure). I think there are real nice snakes but i would not be able to fit it in my animal room so i was wondering if i could keep it in an outdoor cage.

Please note that i live in South Africa. It never never really gets under 15"c (about).

So if i got a big wooden box and put a heat pad in it and lots of moss or some kind of insulator in it so on those chilly days it could go it there, would that work?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Keeping a Boa constrictor outside   Keeping a Boa constrictor outside EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 6:10 pm

The ambient temperature (general air temperature) should fall between 80-85 F with the cool end towards the lower end of this but not falling below 75 F. There should be a basking spot (a concentrated hot area provided by the heat source) at the hot end which should fall between 90-95 F.

A night time drop in temperature is not required but if it does occur then the ambient temperature should not be allowed to fall below 75 F.
I wouldn't use mesh to prevent nose rubbing injuries and obviously maske it secure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
the fox
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Keeping a Boa constrictor outside   Keeping a Boa constrictor outside EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 6:16 pm

So I guess if i simply had a powerful heater of some kind it would work then.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Keeping a Boa constrictor outside   Keeping a Boa constrictor outside EmptyThu Nov 13, 2008 6:20 pm

Yes, its no different than what I have done for the tortoises in winter Keeping a Boa constrictor outside 3521
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Keeping a Boa constrictor outside   Keeping a Boa constrictor outside EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 11:29 pm

Fox you live in Cape Town and that would be a very bad move for you boa as it would get Phenomena and role.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeping a Boa constrictor outside   Keeping a Boa constrictor outside Empty

Back to top Go down

Keeping a Boa constrictor outside
Page 1 of 1