Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

Puff Adder Bites - check out these!

Go down 
+2
boabloketony
Reptile Rescue Den
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

Puff Adder Bites - check out these! Empty
PostSubject: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 5:44 pm

Puff Adder Bites - check out these! PuffBite
24 hours after a puff adder bite on the calf. The patient had restricted blood supply to the foot and the leg has been cut to relieve the severe swelling pressure. Note extensive blistering and swelling. Photo Dr. M. B. Penderton.
Puff Adder Bites - check out these! PuffBiteHand
Puff Adder bite to the hand
Puff Adder Bites - check out these! Puff-adder
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
boabloketony
boabloketony

Number of posts : 965
Registration date : 2007-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyMon Dec 31, 2007 6:47 pm

Wow very gory !!!

I love it Twisted Evil

They look so innocent too
Back to top Go down
tilly790
Posting Python
Posting Python

Number of posts : 1295
Registration date : 2007-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyTue Jan 01, 2008 10:55 pm

Oh hell thats awful. Mad
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 11:31 am

Gosh!!! thats Cytotoxic venom for you!
An interseting observation would be to have a sort of statistic on where and when most bites occur, cos I often walk about, and they are not really found on the beaten track that often, and when you do approach them its not that difficult to hear their warning.

Some guys watch too much tv, and try to get real close to the snake, when they dont need to.

From what feedback Ive got from people who come across these animals in their homes, I can see how they can get bitten, like a chap that told me last week how he removed an adult puffy from his home, with a broomstick while holding the tail!! Whereas the best if you dont have equipment is a spade, just scoop it on a spade, and safely move it.

In my opinion around towns etc, most bites are to people who try and move, kill or play around with the animals.
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 11:46 am

They are good and valid comments there Bogga, man should learn to respect and leave well alone. Puff Adder Bites - check out these! 3521
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 1:43 am

A 12 year old girls leg was amputated bellow the knee last week due to a puff bite. I keep these guys and yes I still crap myself when moving or handling them.

The speed of a bit is a foot in a tenth of second. 100% strike rate.
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 10:53 am

And people say I'm crazy?
Back to top Go down
http://www.caimanhunter.com
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyTue Jul 08, 2008 5:24 pm

Sometimes to be a little physiologically touched helps. I do admit I even scare myself but fear is good or it’s that dang jacket with the long sleeves again.

Cape Puff Adders

Puff Adder Bites - check out these! DSC01411
Puff Adder Bites - check out these! DSC01415
Puff Adder Bites - check out these! DSC01411
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Puff Adder Bites - check out these! Puffadder2
Puff Adder Bites - check out these! Puffadder4
Puff Adder Bites - check out these! Puffadder5
Puff Adder Bites - check out these! Puffadder9
Puff Adder Bites - check out these! Puffadder10
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyWed Jul 09, 2008 11:44 pm

OMG they are the worse wounds than i've ever seen and that was only in bed sores, I couldn't imagine what the sight, smell and the pain of those would be!!!! Puff Adder Bites - check out these! 858353
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyThu Jul 10, 2008 12:41 am

Sadly this is the one who lost her leg below her knee the other day.
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 9:22 am

Ja, that girl was fortunate they amputated when they did, it could have cost her life! her losing her leg was the result of incompetent and substandard medical practice, they did not administer anti venom when they should have, and even though they never had anti venom, she was only half an hours flight from the bigger state hospitals where they could have helped her properly.

I love handling the puffies, and they are awsome, but that is one animal I dont want biting me! My Rinkhals venom has a cytotoxic factor, but fortunately not as toxic as that of the Puffie! and he prefers to spit the crap out of anything that moves.
im getting in 2 Copperheads, now that will be interesting! just shouldnt get bitten then. lol!
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 9:23 am

Nice puffies SNakes Inc! the bright one your female? will she be a mommy this year?
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 2:47 pm

Bogga wrote:
will she be a mommy this year?

Naa I had problems with finding homes for her last batch. Maybe next season.
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Ja, I wouldnt breed puffies either, unless the parents were wild caught, then I would release them into the wild, close to where the adults were found.
Just the thought of having up to 30 baby puffs around gives me the shivers!! each one capable of changing your life! affraid
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 3:59 pm

Yeah a puff can strike very quickly and in that short space of time changes things forever on the receiving end.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puff Adder Bites - check out these!   Puff Adder Bites - check out these! Empty

Back to top Go down

Puff Adder Bites - check out these!
Page 1 of 1