Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

Before starting a rescue centre...

Go down 
+2
Henry-flash
Reptile Rescue Den
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

Before starting a rescue centre... Empty
PostSubject: Before starting a rescue centre...   Before starting a rescue centre... EmptyTue Dec 25, 2007 7:14 pm

Setting up a rescue service is one of the most demanding services you can offer the public. It puts a severe strain on your personal life with your partner and can be upsetting for the kids, should you have a 'bad' rescue. The financial strain is enormous, and often a good business head is required.

Once you set up you are then faced with a huge amount of people who really do wish that your a genuine rescue but give you a hard time, in the mean time just to make sure. The strain of all this really is just one of the many tests you will face.

During the early days of setting up people will befriend you and offer advice. Often you have to make sure that this is not bad advice. Always follow your heart is my philosophy.

Being prepare to face almost anything is a useful tool, as often you will be facing heart breaking scenes that your mind will not be able to comprehend. You will feel that the human race is nothing more than the lowest of the low sometimes.

You will need rules and your own guidelines and this will include knowing basic law where animals are concerned. Your local council or DEFRA should be able to help there or a very good Herp Vet. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Your not expected to know everything, but staying on the right side of the law is important for your rescue!

Always try to read up on any animal your expecting to get in and be fully prepared before hand. It is a must to seek several sources of information as often they will contradict one another. If in doubt ask your vet or another knowledgable source. Again your not expected to know everything but showing a willingness to learn will open many doors.

Finally once you have set your guidlines/rules and your own personal morals regarding your rescue and animal welfare, I hope that one day your not faced with the decission to have to decide between them like I have been today (morals of a rescuer or friendship). Remember why you started this work, your heart is in it, follow your true feelings as the animals cannot speak out for them selves. Stand strong and be proud you are doing the right thing! We are not rescuers for medals and glory, we are rescuers to help the animals that are true to our hearts.

Dxxx
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
Henry-flash
Egg
Egg
Henry-flash

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Before starting a rescue centre...   Before starting a rescue centre... EmptyWed Dec 26, 2007 2:59 am

I have to agree with what you say here. I have rescused a number of torts in the last couple of years and some of the stories are so upsetting and don't always have the happy ending you would like.

Keep up the good work. Many animals are saved because of people like yourself.

Peter
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Before starting a rescue centre...   Before starting a rescue centre... EmptyWed Dec 26, 2007 3:17 am

Thanks Peter, if we all do our bit then it can only improve!
You too keep up the good work. Before starting a rescue centre... 3521
Back to top Go down
tilly790
Posting Python
Posting Python

Number of posts : 1295
Registration date : 2007-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Before starting a rescue centre...   Before starting a rescue centre... EmptyFri Dec 28, 2007 4:59 pm

Yes keep up the good work... Before starting a rescue centre... 3521
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Before starting a rescue centre...   Before starting a rescue centre... EmptyFri Dec 28, 2007 5:37 pm

I sometimes have to put my life on the line to save animals because any rescued snake can show its appreciation by biting the rescue.

I agree that there will be a financial deficit at the end of the day but doesn’t it feel great to know that the animal was given a second chance?
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Before starting a rescue centre...   Before starting a rescue centre... EmptySat Dec 29, 2007 10:39 pm

Snakes Incorporated wrote:
I agree that there will be a financial deficit at the end of the day but doesn’t it feel great to know that the animal was given a second chance?
Hell Yes!!!
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Before starting a rescue centre...   Before starting a rescue centre... EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 12:39 pm

Good Info! Well done.
Back to top Go down
http://www.caimanhunter.com
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Before starting a rescue centre...   Before starting a rescue centre... EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 12:41 pm

Thanks Bam Before starting a rescue centre... 3521

Anything else you would like to add mate?
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Before starting a rescue centre...   Before starting a rescue centre... EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 12:50 pm

I salute you rescuers!! Keep up the sterling work!
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Before starting a rescue centre...   Before starting a rescue centre... EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 12:55 pm

Awe thanks Bogga Before starting a rescue centre... 3521, am sure we all will do.
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Before starting a rescue centre...   Before starting a rescue centre... EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 10:48 pm

Reptile Rescue Den wrote:
Thanks Bam :)

Anything else you would like to add mate?

Not much I can add. You did a great job. If your heart is in it and the funds are accessible, you can be successful.
Back to top Go down
http://www.caimanhunter.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Before starting a rescue centre...   Before starting a rescue centre... Empty

Back to top Go down

Before starting a rescue centre...
Page 1 of 1