Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

Male Corn Snake Behaviour

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Makarok
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Male Corn Snake Behaviour Empty
PostSubject: Male Corn Snake Behaviour   Male Corn Snake Behaviour EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 11:38 am

Hi guys,

Bit of a funny question really, which I think I know the answer to but it never hurts to get more points of view I guess.
One of my big vivs has two adult male corns in it. Since just after the middle of January, they have started 'fighting' (a bit strong for what seem to be happening but still..). Basically, it looks like the two of them are fighting to get the highest ground they can and/or wrestle the other to a point below them. Initially I was concerned that some sort of male 'rape' might be going on, although there was none of the usual chasing around that you get when breeding them to a female so I doubt this. One of them has been put with a female and subsequently put back into this viv again.
I think it is just male breeding season behaviour, but I thought I would run it by you guys and see what you think.

Cheers

John
Back to top Go down
squaddie79
Admin
Admin
squaddie79

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Male Corn Snake Behaviour   Male Corn Snake Behaviour EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 2:17 pm

i would say it sounds like male breeding behaviour or they just sortin out whos the boss,

personally i would say that its not an good idea to keep more than one snake per viv, except for breeding, as this will prevent this from happening and can also prevent other problems like canabalism.
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Male Corn Snake Behaviour   Male Corn Snake Behaviour EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 2:28 pm

Defo sounds like normal behaviour for this time of year.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
Makarok
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Male Corn Snake Behaviour   Male Corn Snake Behaviour EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 8:24 pm

Thats pretty much what I expected it was, nice to know I wasn't wrong Male Corn Snake Behaviour 3521
As far as keeping more than 1 snake together, I know there can be problems especially with young snakes but these guys are both well established adults so I doubt I will encounter cannibalism (although I know its a risk). I also think (although I'm not certain here) that allowing this behaviour to exhibit in the males might improve their breeding response. However, I also think this might result in a good response from the dominant male and a poor response from the non dominant male - this seems to be the case from what I experienced last year.
I am considering a major overhaul of my vivs to seperate them all in the next year (most likely when I have finished at uni) but after having kept my adults this way for many years its a bit hard to justify to myself. Its a bit of a thorny issue really, which I doubt people will ever finally agree about Male Corn Snake Behaviour 3521

Thanks for the replies guys Male Corn Snake Behaviour 3521
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Male Corn Snake Behaviour   Male Corn Snake Behaviour Empty

Back to top Go down

Male Corn Snake Behaviour
Page 1 of 1