Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

Anybody breed king snakes?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sabra
Yearling
Yearling
Sabra

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2008-01-03

Anybody breed king snakes? Empty
PostSubject: Anybody breed king snakes?   Anybody breed king snakes? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 12:26 am

Hey, Me and my friend are in the proces of breeding her king snakes. We have put them together 3 times now without sucess. The male (definite) has been following the female around doing rippling motions against her and little jerky movements. Everytime their vents are aligned she swishes her tail quite vigourously and he twitches his but then just backs off?
Any ideas? the male is aroun 3 years and the female is around 4/5. they have been brumated and fed a few times since warming up. We have introduced the male to the females tank as when we tried the other way round the female became aggressive.
We have left them together (supervised) for an hour, do they need longer?
Thanks in advance
Sarah
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Anybody breed king snakes?   Anybody breed king snakes? EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 3:15 pm

From what I have read they can take longer than an hour to get jiggy and often can be stuck together for several hours until they release. But i have never bred kings myself (so not totally clued up) the canabilism just freaks me out LOL. Your obviously doing everything right, maybe just leave them for a little while longer. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
grannykins
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Anybody breed king snakes?   Anybody breed king snakes? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2008 2:54 pm

Breeding mine for the first time this year. After warming back up I waited until both had shed, fed them, then introduced them the next day. I put them in a large tub, as I wanted to be able to remove one quickly if they were more interested in food than sex! They took about 10 mins before they mated, and stayed linked for 4hrs 20mins! I had to watch them all the time in case one became hungry when they had finished. I did try them before they shed, and had to separate them quickly when it looked like the male wanted his dinner.
Back to top Go down
Sabra
Yearling
Yearling
Sabra

PostSubject: Re: Anybody breed king snakes?   Anybody breed king snakes? EmptyTue Feb 26, 2008 10:06 pm

well the male shed over a week ago but the female hasn't, do you think we should wait for her to shed?
Back to top Go down
grannykins
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Anybody breed king snakes?   Anybody breed king snakes? EmptyWed Feb 27, 2008 9:43 am

Would probably be a good idea, as females are supposed to be more attractive when newly shed.
Back to top Go down
Sabra
Yearling
Yearling
Sabra

PostSubject: Re: Anybody breed king snakes?   Anybody breed king snakes? EmptyWed Feb 27, 2008 5:32 pm

thanks for that,
there must be something in the air cos my female bluetongue is having non of it either!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anybody breed king snakes?   Anybody breed king snakes? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anybody breed king snakes?
Page 1 of 1