Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

Please help me with my feeder mice

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
the fox
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-01-01

Please help me with my feeder mice Empty
PostSubject: Please help me with my feeder mice   Please help me with my feeder mice EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 4:18 pm

I have made a rack system for my mice (pics will come soon).

I just can't think of anything to use as a hiding place, i don't want to use noting because my plan is to just pick up the hiding box without all the pinkys falling out. Like a ice-cream tub with the lid on but a hole in it. But with ice cream tubs i find they never use them.

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Please help me with my feeder mice   Please help me with my feeder mice EmptyFri Mar 07, 2008 4:53 pm

When I had snakes through here on a regular basis I did the whole breeding deal with mice and rats and eventually bunnies, for the larger snakes. For the mice I've used toilet paper rolls. Cheap, plentiful, and when the mice finished gnawing on them and they wouldn't stand up to the pressure any more, I threw in a new one.

Sometimes I'd throw in yogurt cups or plastic take-away cups from fast food joints. All of which were strong enough that when I picked them up, a few mice remained in them, making it easier to catch a few mice on feeding day.

Rats were a different story, because the eat through everything! Including their water bottles, lids, hides and plastic rack enclosures. I had to get steel bird cages for the rats and I seperated the males from the females, except for a breeder male and five females. For rat hides I used any empty food box or container when we finished the contents. It didn't matter. The rats would eat it and I'd have to throw something else in there every few weeks.

Bunnies got no hide. I built a little rabbit box with four compartments and each with its own door and through hay and straw down on the bottom. And for the offspring, they got a bigger bird cage with no hides.

Hope some of that helps.

Do you want any of the steel bird cages?
Back to top Go down
http://www.caimanhunter.com
the fox
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Please help me with my feeder mice   Please help me with my feeder mice EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 7:21 pm

Thanks for the help but the problem with stuff they chew through is you have to eventually take it out and there might be a nest in it.

Do you want any of the steel bird cages?
What do yo mean?
Back to top Go down
squaddie79
Admin
Admin
squaddie79

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Please help me with my feeder mice   Please help me with my feeder mice EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 7:29 pm

we find they do well when ya just use hay, they make nests themselves and its easy for them to replace if you disturb it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please help me with my feeder mice   Please help me with my feeder mice Empty

Back to top Go down

Please help me with my feeder mice
Page 1 of 1