Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

There's A Fault On The Line, UK

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2007-12-28

There's A Fault On The Line, UK Empty
PostSubject: There's A Fault On The Line, UK   There's A Fault On The Line, UK EmptySat May 17, 2008 11:52 pm

17 May 2008

The wrong type of snake almost brought trains to a halt along a steam railway.Signal engineer Nick Perring was called into action when reports of a fault along the South Devon Railway were traced to a cupboard at Staverton station.

Opening the door, he found a pair of uninvited house guests had slithered into place and coiled themselves around the signal.

Initially he took the pair to be venomous adders.

For generations, railwaymen have swapped tales about the dangers posed by the creatures, which enjoy nothing better than basking in the hot sun close to the track.

The railway even has an original Great Western Railway sign warning walkers to put dogs on leads because of the danger of snakes.

But on closer inspection, the beady-eyed pair turned out to be harmless grass snakes.

Mr Perring said: "I was shocked when I saw them because I thought they were adders. Fortunately, they were just grass snakes and didn't stop the trains running."

The reptiles are thought to have been drawn into the signal box by the hot weather earlier in the week. The unusual problem was solved when the shy creatures decided to move of their own accord. Grass snakes are common in the Westcountry and like their adder cousins are commonly seen out in the sun trying to warm up.

The are often confused with the adder, or common viper, which is the only venomous reptile in the UK.

Although the snakes have similar markings, the grass snake is the longer of the two and has a more slender head.
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

There's A Fault On The Line, UK Empty
PostSubject: Re: There's A Fault On The Line, UK   There's A Fault On The Line, UK EmptyMon May 19, 2008 7:39 pm

LOL I am not so sure they are that easily mistaken for an adder but could understand why some unknowledgeable person would panick and not know the difference.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Exotic Rescue Forum :: General Help & Chat :: News Room-
Jump to: