Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

Not Quite Sure How I Feel....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Not Quite Sure How I Feel.... Empty
PostSubject: Not Quite Sure How I Feel....   Not Quite Sure How I Feel.... EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 3:06 am

Not Quite Sure How I Feel.... 105rwpw

http://www.al.com/press-register/stories/index.ssf?/base/sports/1218964575277010.xml&coll=3&thispage=1

Eleven alligators caught on first night of hunt, including a 12-foot, 4-inch specimen that woke up the scales

Sunday, August 17, 2008
By JEFF DUTE
Outdoors Editor

first split of the 2008 alligator season on the Mobile-Tensaw Delta got off to a slow start compared to years past, but hunters managed to bring some impressively large lizards to the scales among the 11 killed on opening night Friday.

It wasn't until 1 o'clock Saturday morning that the first boats carrying alligators were towed toward the scales at the conservation department's District V office on the Causeway.

About an hour later, the night's two biggest animals hit the scales back to back — and the bigger of those two decided he didn't like all of the attention.

A half-dozen or so people standing closely around the boat holding Kyle Hayes' large alligator were duly impressed with its size, but when they noticed its eyes blink, they quickly expanded their vantage point.

When someone said excitedly, "It's still alive!" the armed conservation department personnel paid it a little more attention. None of them unsnapped the buckles securing their service revolvers, though a couple looked like they considered it. A few bystanders seemed to be wishing they had guns, too.

Finally convinced the animal wasn't a threat, it was carried to the scales, where it continued to blink while its vital statistics were recorded — male, 12 feet, 4 inches, 486 pounds.

It wasn't until after it had been rolled off the scales and several pictures were taken that the alligator tried to dodge the assembled paparazzi by unlimbering its feet and attempting to move.

One of Hayes' party, Tiger Godwin, quickly dispatched the alligator with a small-caliber rifle.

Hayes of Brewton, Godwin of Jay, Fla., and Tom Ard of Orange Beach were hunting at the "T" in Mifflin Lake when they spotted the animal the first time at around 9 p.m., but missed him.

Godwin, who is a nuisance alligator trapper in northwest Florida, said he decided to hunt above I-65 because even though there aren't as many animals up there compared to the lower Delta, they hadn't been hunted much.

Godwin said they got two crossbow arrows into the alligator's neck and had it to the boat in 15 minutes.

'He expends a lot of energy pulling the boat around in that deeper water and he'll wear himself out pretty quick," he said. "All you have to do after that is put some pressure on him."

Hayes said this was his first hunt and plans on applying again.

'We only saw two or three other boats up there all night," he said. "It was a lot of fun, and I hope I draw (a permit) again next year.

'I'll tell you what, though, I learned these things are hard to judge. I swear even when we shot him that I didn't think he was that big."

Minutes before Hayes' animal came in, it was almost déj vu all over again for Chip DeShields of Forest Home, Ala., and Joe Mastrangelo and James Fink, both of Pensacola, when they brought in a 12-foot, 3-inch, 449-pound male.

DeShields said the one they finally dispatched at about 11:45 Friday night was taken only several hundred yards from the spot where last year the trio killed a 12-foot, 9-inch, 545-pound alligator.

None of them would reveal the exact location of the spot but they said it was loaded with big alligators. They reported seeing nearly 75 animals in the four hours they were on the water.

They used two snatch-hook lines, a harpoon, a crossbow and a grappling hook during the more than two-hour fight.

'It took us more than five hours to get him in last year, but we learned to use leverage to our advantage a little more this year," said DeShields, who had brought the skull mount of his alligator from 2007 to have pictures taken with it and his latest kill.

It turned out to be a season of firsts for Lori Zirlott of Coden.

Besides being the first person to weigh an animal this year, it was Zirlott's first year of alligator hunting and it was also the first year she, along with her husband Simon, had applied for a tag.

'We had been wanting to do it since it began and this is the first year we went ahead and did it," Lori Zirlott said.

Her male alligator measured 9 feet, 4 inches long and weighed 204 pounds. Lori Zirlott said the alligator was snagged on the Blakeley about a mile north of the Battery and it took 45 minutes to get it secured to the boat and dispatched.

Hunters can hit the water again tonight at 8 and must quit hunting at 6 a.m. Monday.

The second split runs Friday through Monday. Hours are from 8 p.m.-6 a.m. each night.
Back to top Go down
http://www.caimanhunter.com
tilly790
Posting Python
Posting Python

Number of posts : 1295
Registration date : 2007-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Not Quite Sure How I Feel....   Not Quite Sure How I Feel.... EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 9:23 am

Well i think it sickening ..Dont know how they can get there kicks out of killing ..
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

PostSubject: Re: Not Quite Sure How I Feel....   Not Quite Sure How I Feel.... EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 4:30 am

Killing for culling? Acceptable. For food, allowable. For fun, sport, enjoyment, with no socially defensible position is, IMHO, wrong.
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Not Quite Sure How I Feel....   Not Quite Sure How I Feel.... EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 2:04 am

I must say I don't agree whether its culling for food or nuisance or any other God Damn Excuse!!!! Sorry if that upsets anyone but it's how I feel.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

PostSubject: Re: Not Quite Sure How I Feel....   Not Quite Sure How I Feel.... EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 5:13 pm

Reptile Rescue Den wrote:
I must say I don't agree whether its culling for food or nuisance or any other God Damn Excuse!!!! Sorry if that upsets anyone but it's how I feel.

I can see how people feel that way and I have absolutely no problem with that line of thinking, but to be open minded about it I compare it to deer hunting. Some people feel that it is wrong. Then I read why it began; too many deer, ruining the ecosystem for other animals, causes more car accidents than drunken driving, state gives excess meat to the poor working class, meat is also used to help feed less well off school children, the overpopulation is ruining farmers' crops, ruining farmland, ruining grazing lands, other animals are starving due to the over-grazing, and so on....

And then I compare it to this and I think, "Is it the same thing?" If it's messing with the ecosystem and/or the meat is feeding an entire tribe of South American Indians who otherwise would die of starvation, then, fine. But if it's simply so that these yahoos and their rifles have something to do on a friday night after drinking.....well, not so much.
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Not Quite Sure How I Feel....   Not Quite Sure How I Feel.... EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 7:04 pm

caimanhunter wrote:
Reptile Rescue Den wrote:

I can see how people feel that way and I have absolutely no problem with that line of thinking, but to be open minded about it I compare it to deer hunting. Some people feel that it is wrong. Then I read why it began; too many deer, ruining the ecosystem for other animals, causes more car accidents than drunken driving, state gives excess meat to the poor working class, meat is also used to help feed less well off school children, the overpopulation is ruining farmers' crops, ruining farmland, ruining grazing lands, other animals are starving due to the over-grazing, and so on....

And then I compare it to this and I think, "Is it the same thing?" If it's messing with the ecosystem and/or the meat is feeding an entire tribe of South American Indians who otherwise would die of starvation, then, fine. But if it's simply so that these yahoos and their rifles have something to do on a friday night after drinking.....well, not so much.
I understand what your saying Bam, particulary about the Yahoos etc, but I don't agree with hunting. If man hadn't of killed off the natural preditors by hunting, then there wouldn't be an over population problem in most cases. The great circle of life!
But seeing as alligators are the Apex preditor they have no natural preditor, then I can see where the problem lies with over population. But that probably wouldn't be so much a problem if the pet trade didn't supply so inexpensively and then irresponsible pet owners dumping unwanted pets etc. Plus the alligator was there before man, so this should of been thought about more before man built homes where the gators lived. And if the members of the public didn't feed small gators, or fishermen didn't leave fish guts for the gators to eat they would be less of a nuciance when they grow up. For nuciance gators I don't see why catch and release isn't employed.
Using the excuse that the meat goes to feed the hungry etc its just an excuse to go on a killing spree, a ploy used by the hunters to gain approval from animal loving members of the public. I am not saying that the meat doesn't go to the needy, but it sure as hell is a ploy nether the less!
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

PostSubject: Re: Not Quite Sure How I Feel....   Not Quite Sure How I Feel.... EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 6:27 am

Fair enough and point taken.
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Not Quite Sure How I Feel....   Not Quite Sure How I Feel.... EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 4:35 pm

Its frustrating, cos it takes a long time and survival to get to that size and age, and them some dumb @#$%^ in a boat shoots it!
Same here, a mole snake takes many many years to get to adulthood, then some idiot kills it with a spade, and when i tell him what it is, he say he knows, and he cannot explain why he killed it!!
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Not Quite Sure How I Feel....   Not Quite Sure How I Feel.... EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 4:42 pm

Totally mindless!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not Quite Sure How I Feel....   Not Quite Sure How I Feel.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Not Quite Sure How I Feel....
Page 1 of 1