Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

How did you get started with rescue work?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

How did you get started with rescue work? Empty
PostSubject: How did you get started with rescue work?   How did you get started with rescue work? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 12:58 pm

Despite my passion for herps since I was a child, I have always been interested in how to care for sick animals too. Anyway about 4 years ago I began some voluntary work at our local wildlife hospital. Caring for foxes, birds of all types, squirrels etc. The founder of the hospital knew of my knowledge I had of reptiles and my passion and asked why I didn't set up my own rescue. Well of course it as simple as that, so I began to look into how to do things correctly. After 12 months of knowing where I should be going and where I stood legally, I set up Reptile Rescue Den on the 5th May 2005. I did work for the wildlife hospital for a little while afterwards, but now I no longer have the time as running RRD is a 24/7 job. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
boabloketony
boabloketony

Number of posts : 965
Registration date : 2007-12-30

PostSubject: Re: How did you get started with rescue work?   How did you get started with rescue work? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 2:40 pm

That's really interesting Denise,

It's good to know how the founder of the boards got into rescuing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: How did you get started with rescue work?   How did you get started with rescue work? EmptyWed Jan 02, 2008 2:51 pm

Thanks Tony, I try to play my part. lol!
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: How did you get started with rescue work?   How did you get started with rescue work? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 12:48 pm

Always been interested in reptiles. Had a caiman as a kid. Wanted one as an adult.

A guy in the area had a caiman that he needed to get rid of because it was "getting too big to handle". That perked me up.

That's how it started.

Then I met a guy in town doing the same thing. We joined forces and we've been partners ever since.

We've gotten calls from owners, breeders, Fish and Wildlife Officers and others needing to find homes for caiman and other reptiles. We got a call once from a hunter who had too much deer meat and wondered if we could use it. Well, duh!

We've had snakes and iguanas and beardies. Now we just deal with caiman.

And just last year we decided to allow two of our females to breed. I realize this is not a very accepted practice among rescuers, but the hatchling sales, on a limited basis, bring in needed funds that go right back into medicines, filters, food and maintenance and is gone quickly. Besides, if the people can no longer take care of the animals, we made it clear that we would take them back, no matter how big they were.

Well, that's how I got started.
Back to top Go down
http://www.caimanhunter.com
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: How did you get started with rescue work?   How did you get started with rescue work? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2008 1:00 pm

Thats s great story, I love hearing stuff like this.Very Happy

I think breeding within rescues is ok as long as they are healthy specimens, obviously there are exceptions... like I have mentioned somewhere within this forum LOL that funds are hard to come by and money doesn't grow on trees! This is just my humble opinion. How did you get started with rescue work? 3521
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: How did you get started with rescue work?   How did you get started with rescue work? EmptyThu Jan 10, 2008 12:09 pm

Reptile Rescue Den wrote:
Thats s great story, I love hearing stuff like this.Very Happy

I think breeding within rescues is ok as long as they are healthy specimens, obviously there are exceptions... like I have mentioned somewhere within this forum LOL that funds are hard to come by and money doesn't grow on trees! This is just my humble opinion. How did you get started with rescue work? 3521

I agree. Here, in the States, though, people tend to think that if you run a rescue then all of your animals should be spayed and neutered so the population doesn't grow, causing the need for more rescues down the road.

In general, I tend to agree with the principle and the idea, but like with all things in this life, moderation, flexibility and rule-bending need to be acceptable at times.
Back to top Go down
http://www.caimanhunter.com
milly
Hatchling
Hatchling

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: How did you get started with rescue work?   How did you get started with rescue work? EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 4:07 pm

i have always loved reps ever since i was a little nipper, reps are all i think about, i love the fact that i can help a sick animal out and nurse it back to good health and then once it's better i try my hardest to find a suitable new home for it, funds can be hard at times but i have a very understanding partner, i'm lucky i have a lot of time i'm a stay at home mum whilst my bloke works nights, so my 3 year old daughter likes to learn about the rep room and soon to move into the shed once converted. however not all reps i rescue are ill some are in perfect health it's just the owners have decided not to carry on looking after it/them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptiles-r-us.moonfruit.com
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: How did you get started with rescue work?   How did you get started with rescue work? EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 4:45 pm

Keep up the good work Milly Very Happy
Back to top Go down
milly
Hatchling
Hatchling

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: How did you get started with rescue work?   How did you get started with rescue work? EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 4:50 pm

thanks same to you all on here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptiles-r-us.moonfruit.com
Sabra
Yearling
Yearling
Sabra

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: How did you get started with rescue work?   How did you get started with rescue work? EmptyMon Feb 04, 2008 11:36 pm

I'm just a sucker for a scaley with a sob story!!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How did you get started with rescue work?   How did you get started with rescue work? Empty

Back to top Go down

How did you get started with rescue work?
Page 1 of 1