Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

Is it ok to breed rescues?

Go down 
+2
Reptile Rescue Den
boabloketony
6 posters

No never
Is it ok to breed rescues? Vote_lcap10%Is it ok to breed rescues? Vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
If animal is a rehome and is healthy
Is it ok to breed rescues? Vote_lcap50%Is it ok to breed rescues? Vote_rcap
 50% [ 5 ]
If the rescued animal is brought back to health
Is it ok to breed rescues? Vote_lcap10%Is it ok to breed rescues? Vote_rcap
 10% [ 1 ]
Both of the above
Is it ok to breed rescues? Vote_lcap30%Is it ok to breed rescues? Vote_rcap
 30% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
boabloketony
boabloketony

Number of posts : 965
Registration date : 2007-12-30

Is it ok to breed rescues? Empty
PostSubject: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 5:17 am

I was just curious as to whether it's ever ok to breed animals you've taken on as rescues?

Opinions please folks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 12:10 pm

I actually feel that all CB breeding is good as it all helps to provide for the demand and in all honesty it's better than WC. However, I personally wouldn't breed an animal that had suffered, despite its being in fine health. I just simply wouldn't take the risk as the animal has gone through enough and when breeding many things can go wrong.

But there are two types of rescues here in the UK. You have one where the animal is sick or has been treated pretty badly. Then you have what we call rehomers, that are basically animals that are being relocated as their previous owners for example are moving abroad to going uni and cant take their beloved animal with them. If I was to say breeding within a rescue is ok personally, then it would be with the latter group of 'rescues'.

People could argue that if a rescue was infact breeding some animals then they are profitting from rescuing. I would have to disagree as often breeding reptiles is far from a money making scheme. What with equipment, vet bills, heating costs and finally food you are lucky to draw even. But there are the exceptions, like if someone was going to breed morphes for example. If all went according to plan and money was made, then as long as it is invested into the rescue then great. Rescues are always struggling for funds, are nearly all the reptile rescues are self funded and get little help from the public and certainly non from the goverment or large animal rescue groups like the RSPCA for example. When rescues like myself are having to build enclosures bigger and better and have plans to go from non-profit to charity status then any helping hand is appreciated, providing the animals health and well being are not being compromised.

Is it ok to breed rescues? 3521 Is it ok to breed rescues? 3521

Last edited by on Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
john1979
Egg
Egg
john1979

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptyThu Jan 03, 2008 2:47 pm

I t depends on a few things i think, and a maybee should be added to the poll.

If its a straight forward rehome like someone moving ect as Denise said, then i see no reason why they can't breed, if it's an animal thats been rescued from an abusive or neglectful owner and has ether physical or phycological problems because of the neglect/abuse then no i personally wouldn't breed the animal as it's been thugh enough already in it's life time.

People will always disagree on this sort of topic, and noone is right or wrong, it's just what we see as being right for the animals we have rescued/rehomed.

As you can tell, i'm on the fence depending on the animals health when it was removed from the situation it was in, as such each case is differant but can be very similer to other cases.
Back to top Go down
http://john1979.proboards43.com/index.cgi
squaddie79
Admin
Admin
squaddie79

Number of posts : 544
Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptyFri Jan 04, 2008 9:09 pm

i agree with De, if its a rehome and you are not doing it for profit then its ok, of the 5 i have taken in over the 2 years, the 2 kings will never be bred due to previous damage done to then, the corn/corn x have gone to london zoo education centre so wont know if they will be bred and the latest one a small for her age but healthy 5 year old royal will be added to my breeding group (with permission from previous owner) next year once she has put on some weight and is a decent size.
Back to top Go down
squaddie79
Admin
Admin
squaddie79

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptyFri Jan 04, 2008 9:14 pm

hope ya dont mind but added some extra options
Back to top Go down
boabloketony
boabloketony

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptyFri Jan 04, 2008 9:18 pm

No that's fine mate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptyFri Jan 04, 2008 10:14 pm

squaddie79 wrote:
hope ya dont mind but added some extra options

Good job Very Happy
Back to top Go down
boabloketony
boabloketony

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptyFri Jan 04, 2008 10:17 pm

Quiet you lol!
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptyFri Jan 04, 2008 10:19 pm

hahahaha ok Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
squaddie79
Admin
Admin
squaddie79

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptyFri Jan 04, 2008 10:25 pm

Nope she can shout n ball as much as she wants,

as firstly she owns the forum and secondly shes a woman lolololololol
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptyFri Jan 04, 2008 10:28 pm

ROFL
Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
squaddie79
Admin
Admin
squaddie79

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptySat Jan 05, 2008 4:55 pm

rendeer
Back to top Go down
roth
Hatchling
Hatchling
roth

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptyMon Jan 07, 2008 4:42 am

As long as it doesn't harm the animal I don't see a problem with it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/boaboy290984
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2008 9:45 am

Well, there's a lot of mixed feeling on this side of the pond, in that area.

Lots of people tend to think that a rescue should be neutered or spayed, from dogs and cats to reptiles and other carnivores. If it's a rescue, that's proof enough that there are already too many. And if it's an animal that when it gets big the people will let it loose in the forest or woods or outdoors, then, again, is proof that they should not be able to reproduce.

I, on the other hand, feel that once a year, one or two clutches, which will help me fund the rest of the rescue facility, and letting the people who buy the hatchlings know that if it gets too big they can bring it back, no charge, is an acceptable alternative to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.caimanhunter.com
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2008 12:03 pm

caimanhunter wrote:
Well, there's a lot of mixed feeling on this side of the pond, in that area.

Think one of the reasons why we have so many different views are because many of the reptiles that we keep are often imported or certainly they were in the begining but now since then there are more captive bred available. But the 'biggy' many of us in the UK don't like is the many wild caught reptiles that are available within our market. So if a healthy reptile can be bred from then I see that as a positive. I realise whilst there is a demand for reptiles the wild caught market will always be there and often seen as a cheap option to obtain animals as they are imported in their thousdands and in crampt conditions were many of them don't make it and die in vane.
There are some animals that I wouldn't recommend breeding here in the UK regardless and that would be the green iguana and red eared sliders or yellow bellied sliders. The reason for this is I feel there are already too many kept and these particular animals are often left to live their remaining years in rescues or sanctuaries. But the red eared sliders etc are often dumped and left to live in british waterways causing many problems with the biodiversity.
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2008 6:22 pm

Yup. That's a problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.caimanhunter.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it ok to breed rescues?   Is it ok to breed rescues? Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1