Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

Corn snake with problems shedding

Go down 
+4
roth
Sabra
Reptile Rescue Den
Makarok
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Makarok
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Corn snake with problems shedding Empty
PostSubject: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptySun Jan 13, 2008 9:40 pm

Hi all,

One of my corns is having major problems shedding. He is in a large viv with another male, as he has been the past 6 or 7 years. He has had this problem before around a year ago, so I am wondering if that has anything to do with it. Also, the other male has had no problems so I don't think it is the environment (although that seems a bit odd).
Really, what I am after is tips on assisting him to shed fully. I have managed to sort out his body using olive oil but the worst problems seem to be on his head.

I appreciate any help you can give me, thanks

John
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptySun Jan 13, 2008 10:15 pm

Shedding problems are usually down to humidity problems or dehydration. Could it be you snake is a little dehydrated? Have you tried spraying her every day when she is due to shed to help her hydrate?
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
Makarok
Egg
Egg

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptySun Jan 13, 2008 11:20 pm

I haven't been spraying daily, so I will give that a go and see what happens.

Back to top Go down
Sabra
Yearling
Yearling
Sabra

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptySun Jan 13, 2008 11:34 pm

I would one or more of the following:

put your snake in a warm wet pillowcase full or wet cloths or moss, tie it up tight, put it back in the viv at the warm end and leave him for a few hours. He will loosen the skin whilst trying to escape. Pillowcases are breathable so he will be fine.

try masaging aloe vera (or someone suggested KY) into his skin. Holland and Barrat do a 99.9% gel that I have used with great success.

put a hide in the tank that is humid eg a box filled with moss, that way your snakey can sauna himself if he wants to without the general humidity getting to high.

If he is quite bad i would do the first one then follow up with the other too if needed

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
roth
Hatchling
Hatchling
roth

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 5:39 am

You colud try soaking him in the sink or shallow bath for few minutes then let him slither through a damp towel, in the same manner you would if you were just handling him. I have seen that work. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/boaboy290984
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyMon Jan 14, 2008 8:15 am

I am always been reluctant to use gels myself etc but I find increasing the humidity either with spray, the pillow case method or a sweat box works well. The latter suggestions are brilliant if you have a snake with shedding problems and has many layers. The huge burmese python we rescues a while ago was like this, finally when we got his old sheds off it was as thick as card board. Shocked

Last edited by on Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tictac
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyThu Jan 17, 2008 3:27 pm

Hi, I might be new here but have you considered that it may be a vitamin A or D deficiency? It is known to also cause shedding problems. Perhaps giving him a multi vitamin supplement will help long term?
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyThu Jan 17, 2008 7:18 pm

I think you have all the answers you need right here. I have nothing else to add, except, like Denise, I tend to try and stay away from gels. Otherwise, go from the simplest solution up the ladder and I'm sure the outcome will be delightful.
Back to top Go down
http://www.caimanhunter.com
Makarok
Egg
Egg

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyThu Jan 17, 2008 8:24 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I have put a container full of spagnum moss in which is getting sprayed daily to maintain moisture. I am also spraying the rest of the viv too. I haven't tried the pillowcase trick yet, probably will at the weekend since he still hasn't sorted himself out yet. He does look like he is getting ready for another shed though, so hopefully it will be ok this time.
One further point though, he seems to be keeping his mouth partly open which is worrying me although there is no discharge so I am guessing it is just the excess skin getting in his way rather than a respiratory problem.
Either way, I think if he isnt sorted by Sunday I will get him to the vet since he has lost a lot of his bodyweight alongside all this, although I am going to try a small feed tomorrow and see how he goes.

Thanks again,

John
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyThu Jan 17, 2008 9:38 pm

With the mouth being open slightly that could be a sign of mouth rot or similar. Our boa was doing the same thing and she had an abcess even though she was still eating. With her losing weight etc I'd be taking her to the vets asap. When was her last feed?
Back to top Go down
Makarok
Egg
Egg

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyThu Jan 17, 2008 10:00 pm

I'm not sure about mouth rot, since I can't really see any signs of it but I will be getting him booked into the vet tomorrow.
He is reacting very badly to being handled since he looks as though he should have shed by now. Also, he is a snow and there is a visible pinking along his belly that was not there before.
He hasnt fed in about a month, not from refusing to eat but because I was cooling my males over christmas so I don't feed them, as I do most years.
I worry that he might be on his last legs, since he was a rescue from several years back (not from you though, Denise - the 2 I have had from you are doing really well) and I have no idea of his age. He is also rather small as well for an adult, although he has fed the same as the other adults I have.
I guess I will find out whats what when he goes to the vet.
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyThu Jan 17, 2008 10:14 pm

Awe well love good luck, i do hope it's something that can be put right and he will be right as rain soon. Like you say it may well be his age... let us know how you get on babe please.
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyThu Jan 17, 2008 11:19 pm

Keep us informed.
Back to top Go down
boabloketony
boabloketony

Number of posts : 965
Registration date : 2007-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 12:24 am

Good luck with the vet, I hope everything goes well
Back to top Go down
Sabra
Yearling
Yearling
Sabra

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 1:36 am

it now sounds as if the shedding problem may be secondary to something else.......
Good luck, let us know the verdict!
Back to top Go down
roth
Hatchling
Hatchling
roth

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 3:13 am

Good luck mate, I hope he is ok!
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/boaboy290984
Makarok
Egg
Egg

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 3:12 pm

Hi all,

Just got a call from my wife, who took him to the vet for me today.
According to the vet, he is severely dehydrated and may be having liver problems. Some blood samples have been sent off and I have a course of powder to be mixed with water and tube fed 3x daily. If we are lucky he will pull through ok, but its touch and go at the moment.
So, not great news but at least he may be able to recover, with a bit of luck.

Thanks for all the support, makes things a lot easier to deal with :)

John
Back to top Go down
boabloketony
boabloketony

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 3:13 pm

Good luck mate, I'll keep my fingers crossed for a full recovery !!!
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 3:23 pm

John the best of luck mate, we are all with you xxx
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 6:10 pm

I hope it all works out.
Back to top Go down
Sabra
Yearling
Yearling
Sabra

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyFri Jan 18, 2008 10:17 pm

I'm sorry it wasn't better news, hang on in there . I'm sure all will be well!
Back to top Go down
Makarok
Egg
Egg

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi guys,

We got the blood results back and the news isn't good.
Long story short, I will be taking him in to the vet tomorrow to be put to sleep.
Hard to decision to make, but from what I understand it is unlikely he would be able to recover. I suspect it may be his age combined with the fact he was a bit stunted in growth too, but I suppose I will find out tomorrow.

So, not too happy with how things turned out but thats life I guess.
We had him from roughly 5 or 6 years back from a rescue in the north east (whose name escapes me at the moment) along with his tank mate who seems a bit bemused at the moment since he is on his own now (I put the ill snake into an isolation tank just in case).

My wife was sneaky yesterday and got me moving a room around to keep me occupied and to knacker me out so I would sleep ok- she knows what I am like in situations like this :)

Thanks again for all the support guys,

Cheers

John
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 12:33 pm

Awe John I am so sorry to hear this. You have done everything you could do and if you need to talk I am here. xxx
Back to top Go down
Sabra
Yearling
Yearling
Sabra

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyWed Jan 23, 2008 10:06 pm

thats a real shame, just console yourself with the fact that you are ending his suffering.
It was a brave and unselfish choice.
I'm sure I speak for all when I say we are thinking of you and your snakey.....
Back to top Go down
boabloketony
boabloketony

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding EmptyThu Jan 24, 2008 12:08 am

Most of us animal lovers have had to make this difficult decision at some point, it's definately the worst part of animal keeping !!! It sounds like you're doing the right thing and we're here to support you should you need it so please don't be afraid to ask ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Corn snake with problems shedding   Corn snake with problems shedding Empty

Back to top Go down

Corn snake with problems shedding
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next