Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

Substrate Help For Beardies

Go down 
+2
Reptile Rescue Den
streethawk
6 posters
AuthorMessage
streethawk
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Substrate Help For Beardies Empty
PostSubject: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 3:31 pm

Hi I have 2 Beardies and want to know the best substrate to use I want to know which is best to use to get a desert effect that wont be a danger to them any help would be great thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 3:32 pm

Childrens play sand is often used for beardies. I know of man people that use it and never had a problem with impaction.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 3:33 pm

BTW welcome to the forum Substrate Help For Beardies 3521
Back to top Go down
streethawk
Egg
Egg

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 3:34 pm

Thats great thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 3:37 pm

Street hawk I dont have beardies, but I believe corn cob, or even a gravel would be fine, as long as its clean and free of parasites etc, Im sure you can buy them at a garden centre/store in your village. They look nice and natural and easy to clean, sand as Denise suggested would be great as well. For me I prefer the more natural look. Substrate Help For Beardies 191391
And Substrate Help For Beardies 353617 now feel free to post pics of your beardie Substrate Help For Beardies 44900
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 3:39 pm

Bogga I would completely avoid those love for beardies, sorry xxx
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 3:43 pm

Reptile Rescue Den wrote:
Bogga I would completely avoid those love for beardies, sorry xxx
Why not Denise? does it have an ill effect on them? Im just curious as i dont know the last thing about them, but I have seen them with Corn Cob, and another with a very fine gravel.
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 3:48 pm

Ok when beardies eat they often pick up part of the substrate with their foods, clumsy feeders you see lol. Fine gravel and corn cob can cause obstuctions in their guts, leading to death. Nearly everyone in the UK will tell you to stay clear of such substrates, it's very interesting however to find how different they are in Africa Substrate Help For Beardies 3521
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 4:02 pm

Ok, thanks for that! Im not accustomed to beardies etc, so thanks! corn cob just look so nice, especially under a nice uv lamp, besides we cannot keep them legally in our province! anyway Im hoping to get me a nice Varanus Niloticus soon, or something similar, I just adore them!
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 4:10 pm

Yeah I like monitors too Substrate Help For Beardies 3521
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 4:13 pm

Do you have any denise?
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 4:15 pm

I have a Salvator and a Savannah Substrate Help For Beardies 3521
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 4:19 pm

Kewl, I take it they are not in the same enclosure due to size differences? will they predate?
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 4:21 pm

LOL no i never mix species
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 4:26 pm

Ja, that would pose a problem lol!

The only issue I can foresee is an enclosure large enough!
Back to top Go down
streethawk
Egg
Egg

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 4:44 pm

Will post some picture when i get home from work Very Happy Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyWed Feb 06, 2008 5:21 pm

Always happy to help love.
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptyFri Feb 08, 2008 12:16 am

Our beardies used a calci-sand substrate. It's fine, crushed calcium that looks like sand but if they eat it with their food, because like Denise says, they are sloppy eaters, they would only get a mouthful of calcium instead of something that impact them or cause other harm.
Back to top Go down
http://www.caimanhunter.com
mummybear
Egg
Egg

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 5:00 pm

caimanhunter wrote:
Our beardies used a calci-sand substrate. It's fine, crushed calcium that looks like sand but if they eat it with their food, because like Denise says, they are sloppy eaters, they would only get a mouthful of calcium instead of something that impact them or cause other harm.
Sorry but I have to say (only my opinion mind you) calci-sand is a big no no, I have heard too many stories of impaction sometimes leading to death using this stuff for beardies cos it clumps together when damp and goes solid, I know others disagree but as I said earlier this is oimo
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptySat Feb 09, 2008 6:16 pm

mummybear wrote:
caimanhunter wrote:
Sorry but I have to say (only my opinion mind you) calci-sand is a big no no, I have heard too many stories of impaction sometimes leading to death using this stuff for beardies cos it clumps together when damp and goes solid, I know others disagree but as I said earlier this is oimo

I personally don't like cali sand either. Plus my vet hates the stuff with a passion.
Back to top Go down
Sabra
Yearling
Yearling
Sabra

Number of posts : 265

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies EmptySun Feb 10, 2008 11:54 pm

I have never had a bad experience with calci sand, though tend to stick to newspaper for babies just cos it's far cheaper, and playsand for adults!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Substrate Help For Beardies   Substrate Help For Beardies Empty

Back to top Go down

Substrate Help For Beardies
Page 1 of 1