Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

UK Student Mamba Bite

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2008-01-03

UK Student Mamba Bite Empty
PostSubject: UK Student Mamba Bite   UK Student Mamba Bite EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 8:44 am

OK, so I saw this article, anybody wants to kick off and suggest what went wrong here? lets chat about this kind of thing, This is extremely sad and he didnt have to lose his life!

UK student dies after snake bite in South Africa

By Sophie Borland and Sebastian Berger in South Africa
Last Updated: 3:05pm GMT 11/03/2008

A British wildlife student has died after being bitten by a deadly black mamba snake on a safari training course in South Africa.
• British backpacker dies on flight home
Nathan Layton, 28, was bitten by the reptile at the Southern African Wildlife College close to the Kruger National Park, where he was training to become a field guide.

Lecturers at the college had captured the black mamba - the second largest poisonous snake in the world - in the wild and were planning to show it to the students as part of an interactive lesson.

The staff were in the process of trying to transfer the reptile from a container into a larger bottle so it would be easier to study. It is thought that Mr Layton was waving his arms to encourage the snake to move when it suddenly rose up and bit him on the finger.

At first he did not think any poison had been injected into his skin and after a quick examination by members of staff, who are all trained first aiders, they decided to continue with the lecture.
About 20 minutes later Mr Layton suddenly complained his vision had become blurred and he collapsed into a coma from which he never recovered.
Mr Layton, from Wing, near Leighton Buzzard, Beds, had flown out to South Africa with his girlfriend Laura Woolley, 23, in January and the couple had been hoping to stay there for a year. The attack happened last Tuesday.
Miss Woolley, is thought to have remained in South Africa and Mr Layton's parents Ann and Robert Layton, also from Leighton Buzzard, are making preparations for his body to be returned home.
advertisement
Jacqui Edwards, Mr Layton's aunt, yesterday described him as a "genuinely loving, caring person with such a warm heart", but said "within minutes" of the bite, he was dead.
Ironically Mr Layton names Steve Irwin, the Australian wildlife expert who died after being pierced by a sting ray, as one of his heroes on a social networking site.
He also says he "loves fishing, walking in the countryside, and wildlife".
A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office confirmed next of kin had been informed of the death and the British consulate were assisting in the process.
Mr Layton had enrolled on a course run by Bushwise, a company offering to train people to become safari field guides which was being run at the South African Wildlife College.
Participants spend six months in the African bush and six months on a game reserve where they learn skills such as shooting, 4x4 driving and bush knowledge such as conservation, reserve management, geology and animal behaviour.
Students are exposed to dangerous wildlife such as elephants, lions, rhinos, leopards cheetahs and hippos and at the end of the course they are qualified to be employed as guides on South Africa's main game reserves.
It is not known how many people are killed by black mambas each year but its is regarded as Africa’'s deadliest snake as it’s poison can kill a human being within minutes. It is also the world's fastest snake and can travel at speeds of up to 12.5 mph.
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: UK Student Mamba Bite   UK Student Mamba Bite EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 8:49 am

And another version!

The body of a young British wildlife enthusiast, who would have celebrated his 29th birthday today, was flown back to London last night after he was bitten by a deadly black mamba snake in South Africa.
Nathan Layton was taking part in a year-long training programme to fulfil his dream of becoming a game ranger when he was bitten by the snake, Africa’s most deadly, at a safari college on the edge of the Kruger game reserve.
Mr Layton was walking in the grounds of the South African Wildlife Campus in Hoedspruit with teachers and other students taking a safari field-guide course organised by the nature group Bushwise when the attack happened.
“Bushwise staff acted immediately, calling an ambulance when Nathan reported symptoms of a snake bite. Nathan was pronounced dead soon after the ambulance arrived at the campus,” the group said in a statement. “He died as a result of a lethal bite, given to him by a juvenile black mamba snake.”

Johan Fourie, who runs a similar school in Ladysmith in the southern part of the country, said yesterday that it was unlikely that an antidote to snake venom would have been on hand because it can only be administered by doctors and is not the primary response to snake bites.
When it is decided to administer anti-venom the patient also has to be monitored carefully for side-effects, such as violent increases in temperature, which can also be dangerous, he said.
Mr Layton, from Wing, Buckinghamshire, and his girlfriend, Laura Woolley, who was taking the same course, had gone to South Africa via the British-based ethical volunteering organisation, Global Vision International (GVI).
GVI sends 2,000 young Britons abroad each year to work on conservation and charity projects in the developing world. Many go to South Africa.
“Bushwise and GVI are collating information and witness statements and also are working closely with the local police and authorities to assist them in their own investigation,” Bushwise’s statement added.
Ms Woolley was believed to be a passenger on a flight bringing Mr Layton’s body home from South Africa last night. His parents, Robert and Ann, declined to comment.
Friends and relatives had expected Mr Layton to return to Britain with an internationally recognised safari guide qualification and to begin a career in wildlife or conservation. Ms Woolley has expressed an interest in continuing with the course out of respect for Mr Layton’s memory.
A memorial page on the social networking website Facebook, established after news of his death on March 4 spread, contains comments from 112 friends. “Died doing what he loved,” says one entry, posted below his date of birth. Another entry says simply: “We love you buddy — you’ll be missed and never forgotten.”
The black mamba is the second-most venomous snake in the world and one of the deadliest. It is found in many parts of South Africa and has been responsible for the death of at least two game rangers in the Kruger in the past ten years.
The incident, the first death of a student on a GVI project, is certain to reawaken concern about the safety of young Britons on overseas programmes.
Richard Walton, director of GVI, said: “We are all deeply saddened by this terrible incident. We are doing all we can to help the family at this difficult time. Counselling has been supplied to the other students on the campus and ongoing support will continue to be offered to anyone who needs it.”
The shy killer
— The black mamba is the second-largest venomous snake, after the king cobra, reaching 4m long
— It is also the fastest snake, at up to 9mph
— Found in eastern and southwest Africa, it lives off lizards, birds and rodents
— Generally, it is a shy snake and will hide to escape human beings. It fights viciously if cornered
— When striking prey, black mambas can raise their heads a metre above the ground
— Without treatment, bites are almost certainly fatal, usually killing the victim within 20 minutes
Sources: Young People’s Trust for the Environment, National Geographic
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: UK Student Mamba Bite   UK Student Mamba Bite EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 8:52 am

OK, sorry to bore you guys, but yet another version.

Mr Layton had just enrolled in a course to study wildlife - paid for by compensation he received after he was nearly killed in a car accident.
He had dreams of becoming a vet and working in the South African bush, inspired by the character Danny Trevanion (played by Stephen Tompkinson) in the ITV series Wild at Heart.
Mr Layton's parents Robert and Anne have arranged to have his body flown back to Britain. They declined to comment yesterday.
His aunt Jacqui Edwards, 46, said: "Within minutes he was dead. He was genuinely a loving, caring person with such a warm heart."
Miss Woolley, who lived with Mr Layton and had been his girlfriend since the age of 15, will fly home with his body.
Friends of Mr Layton left tributes on Facebook, the networking website, yesterday.

The black mamba snake has a deadly bite
The tribute page was headed: "Nathan Layton. Born 12-03-1979. Died: 4-03-2008. Died doing what he loved. We love you buddy. You'll never be forgotten."
A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: "We are aware of the death of a British national in South Africa and we are providing consular assistance."
The black mamba can reach up to 12ft in length and can travel at 12mph, making it one of the fastest snakes. Its poison is the second deadliest and acts by destroying nerves.
While there is an antidote to its venom, it must be applied immediately and is not widely available in the rural parts of Africa where the snake is most common.
The snakes, which are related to cobras, are called black mambas because when threatened, they display the black interior of their mouths.
They tend to live in hollow insect mounds, abandoned burrows and rock crevices.
Unlike most other snakes, they will strike repeatedly if cornered.
Back to top Go down
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: UK Student Mamba Bite   UK Student Mamba Bite EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 9:10 am

This young man lost his life due to the stupidity of all those around him at that time. If you are as much as grazed by a fang go seek medical help immediatley, until you are 100% sure it should be treated as envenomation! Im sure the more experienced handlers should have made sure it was safe to remove the animal, and advised them alll to stand still, my family are at least 10 metres away from me should I handle any lethal HOT snakes, and they know not to make ANY noises and sudden movements, why would they want him to wave his arms???? that is asking for a bite, besides how close was he to the snake that it just "rose up and bit him" ?

Im sorry I sympathise with the family and friends, but he shouldnt have died the way he did, it is truly really sad! it just angers me that a deadly snake like a Wild Caught Black mamba is let out within close range of students in a confined area, I mean what were these guys thinking!!!

Many people get bitten by mambas in the bush and suvive, you just have to get treatment immediatley.Anti venom could have been sent via ambulance, and somebody couldve administered CPR and heartmassage till the ambulance arrived.

Guys Please spread the word, if you deal with ANY venomous animal, make sure help is less than 20minutes away, this is what is giving us in South Africa a bad name, and unfortunately the reports does not sound a pretty picture. Remember if you play with fire, better make sure you have water to put out the fire.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: UK Student Mamba Bite   UK Student Mamba Bite EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 9:34 am

It's a shame.

But to jump on Bogga's bandwagon, handlers should have made sure it was safe to remove the animal, do not to make any noises or sudden movements and especially don't wave your arms, and if you are so much as grazed by a fang - seek medical help immediately!
Back to top Go down
http://www.caimanhunter.com
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: UK Student Mamba Bite   UK Student Mamba Bite EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 9:42 am

This is ridiculous, another different story!! I really hope the truth comes out, his girlfriend should come out and tell the truth!

British Student Killed By Black Mamba
Updated:13:19, Tuesday March 11, 2008
A British wildlife student has died after being bitten by a deadly black mamba.
Nathan Layton, 27, of Wing, Buckinghamshire, was attacked by the snake as he walked in long grass with a group of teachers and fellow students during a trip to South Africa.
His girlfriend, Laura Woolley, was reportedly with him at the time of the bite.
She could only watch on in horror as Mr Layton fell into a coma, from which he never recovered.
The black mamba is the second largest venomous snake in the world and among the deadliest, capable of reaching up to 14ft in length.
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: UK Student Mamba Bite   UK Student Mamba Bite EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 9:44 am

Maybe he was a cat and died 9 times?
Back to top Go down
http://www.caimanhunter.com
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: UK Student Mamba Bite   UK Student Mamba Bite EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 11:02 am

From reading the first version of the story I instantly picked up on several points. Before I go on I have NO experience with HOT snakes and any knowledge I have gain is merely from watching wildlife programs.

Firstly working with any dangerous reptile there should be safe perimeters set out to provide a safe working environment for those around. Also there should of been guildlines set out and the people around this 'observation area' should of been clearly told of what to do 'if' something went wrong and what not to do i.e. no fast movements. There fore if we believe the first story of him "waving his arms" near the snake, then why the hell was he so close and allowed to be 'encouraging' the snake to move into the new container. Also why the hell wasn't this done beforehand to avoid such matters? Good preparation for any display of reptiles is the key to safety.

Secondly, as Bogga as already mentioned, any bite or 'scratch' from a venomous snake should of been given immediate medical attention. It was pure stupidity to just assume that this guy wasn't venomated. And to assume such things as a precaution they should of taken this guy to the hospital (or gotten a doctor there with anti-venom) to be assessed and administer anti-venom should the doctor see fit. The basic first aid was simply not followed or maybe this guy would still be alive.

I really do feel for his family but this is just a waste!
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: UK Student Mamba Bite   UK Student Mamba Bite EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 12:27 pm

Im gonna collect my new babies in a hour or so (yes they have arrived UK Student Mamba Bite 191391 ), but Ive got the bite protocol with me, as well as my equipment, and I know where the closest hospital is in relation to where I will be picking them up. Ive got a first aid kit in my car, with pieces of wood for a splint and a few rolls of Crepe bandage and Ive got all emergency numbers stored in my moble, as well as the Netcare ambulance number.

I dont believe in leaving anything to chance,
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

PostSubject: Re: UK Student Mamba Bite   UK Student Mamba Bite EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 12:46 pm

Good man! Post piccies of your babies when you can love.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
Bogga
Yearling
Yearling

PostSubject: Re: UK Student Mamba Bite   UK Student Mamba Bite EmptyWed Mar 12, 2008 12:53 pm

Reptile Rescue Den wrote:
Good man! Post piccies of your babies when you can love.
Thanks. I will do so once they are settled, and also I dont want to get sprayed with venom lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UK Student Mamba Bite   UK Student Mamba Bite Empty

Back to top Go down

UK Student Mamba Bite
Page 1 of 1