Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

Well just got my first spider in as a rescue.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

Well just got my first spider in as a rescue. Empty
PostSubject: Well just got my first spider in as a rescue.   Well just got my first spider in as a rescue. EmptySat Jul 12, 2008 3:45 pm

This morning we got a call from the police askin if we could assist with a spider that was found in a suitcase and was identified as a Huntsman. The folk who found it just arrived back from the Virgin Islands and when they open their suitcase out ran the spider. The poor lad freaked as the spider shot out and when her husband was trying to catch it it just reared up and they couldn't believe it. Anyhow we went to collect it so its here now. Its approx 2inches roughly but the buggar will soon get bigger. lol! Will take pics later.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Well just got my first spider in as a rescue.   Well just got my first spider in as a rescue. EmptyMon Jul 14, 2008 11:54 pm

Great catch. Have you sorted out a home for the fellow yet?
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Well just got my first spider in as a rescue.   Well just got my first spider in as a rescue. EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 12:00 am

Think the dirty lil' minger is staying here LOL... given him a name which is well suited me thinks lol He's called Freaky Deaky. Shocked He scares the crap outa me LOL
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

PostSubject: Re: Well just got my first spider in as a rescue.   Well just got my first spider in as a rescue. EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 12:12 am

You could always post him to me. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Well just got my first spider in as a rescue.   Well just got my first spider in as a rescue. EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 12:20 am

Hahahaha Shaun am too scared to even attempt to stick a postage stamp on him lol!

Because he is a 'real' spider and not a Tarantula it just brings back my archnophobia. I mean come on whats the walking sideways and jumping all about LOL. Well just got my first spider in as a rescue. 858353
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

PostSubject: Re: Well just got my first spider in as a rescue.   Well just got my first spider in as a rescue. EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 12:33 am

Toxicity and aggression
In general, Huntsman spiders are not regarded as dangerous, and can be considered beneficial because they feed on insects (Many Australians will relocate Huntsmen to the garden rather than kill them). There have been reports of members of the genus Neosparassus (formerly called Olios) giving bites that have caused prolonged pain, inflammation, headache, vomiting and irregular pulse rate; however, a scientific study into the bite of these spiders did not note any severe or unusual symptoms resulting from confirmed Neosparassus bites.[2] It is unclear under what circumstances these spiders bite people, but it is known that female members of this family will aggressively defend against perceived threats to their egg sacs and their young.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntsman_spider
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

PostSubject: Re: Well just got my first spider in as a rescue.   Well just got my first spider in as a rescue. EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 12:38 am

http://www.amonline.net.au/factsheets/huntsman_spiders.htm
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Well just got my first spider in as a rescue.   Well just got my first spider in as a rescue. EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 12:40 am

Yeah I read that the other day, plus many other sites and even phone Lee up at spidershop.co.uk about how to keep him etc. But it's not the venom I am worried about etc, even though I react badly to wasp stings. It's just about what the look like - the simply are freaky to look at. It's just ugly LOL.
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

PostSubject: Re: Well just got my first spider in as a rescue.   Well just got my first spider in as a rescue. EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 12:43 am

Reptile Rescue Den wrote:
... It's just ugly LOL.

Perception my dear. We must try imagine what we look like to these poor creatures.
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Well just got my first spider in as a rescue.   Well just got my first spider in as a rescue. EmptyTue Jul 15, 2008 12:47 am

Hahahaha good point Shaun. But had a phobia since I was 3yrs old and these just remind me of that................plus and this is a big PLUS lol they remind me of the spids in the Harry Potter film. Just makes my skin crawl LOL. Still will be a good educational tool. I keep trying to convince myself of that. LOL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Well just got my first spider in as a rescue.   Well just got my first spider in as a rescue. Empty

Back to top Go down

Well just got my first spider in as a rescue.
Page 1 of 1