Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

Number of posts : 2711
Registration date : 2007-12-24

Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation Empty
PostSubject: Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation   Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation EmptyTue Jan 01, 2008 9:22 pm

It has often been a source of great debate whether animals should be in zoo's or other forms of captivity. Particulary endangered animals. Or whether particular animals shouldn't even be in captivity. Please discuss and share your veiws.

Personally I feel that zoo's play a vital part in trying to conserve endangered animals and they should do their part in trying to put right what wrong man has done. Let's face it man DOES have alot to answer for!

As for animals being in captivity... well I feel they are a great tool for educational purposes. Providing they are kept correctly then I don't have a problem with that.

Plus while animals are in captivity there are usually breeding programs ongoing. This is great as they are either often sold to other approved organisations to educate others so wild caught animal numbers are reduced or for increasing endangered animals numbers in captivity and then go on toward releasing back into the wild.
Back to top Go down
http://www.reptilerescueden.co.uk
boabloketony
boabloketony

Number of posts : 965
Registration date : 2007-12-30

PostSubject: Re: Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation   Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation EmptyTue Jan 01, 2008 9:28 pm

I agree completely ...

Also in captivity these animals are provided with food when they need it, security from preditors, veterinary attention when needed !!!

I do think it's our job to make them as comfortable as we can and to create an environment as close to their natural habitat as possible. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation   Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation EmptySat Jan 05, 2008 3:19 pm

More study and learning has taken place through animals being in captivity than in the wild.
Animals that are being threatened in the wild can be saved as a species by breeding in captivity and relocating back into the wild using zoo stock.
The fact that a zoo charges an entrance fee shows that it is a business and the animals are its tools. These animals also assist the general public in personalizing themselves with a live breathing animal rather than watching National Geographic or reading a book on the subject.

Many purists disagree with the fact that these animals are kept in captivity. I give snake educational awareness demonstrations and all the animals I use are in captivity. I may take an animal from the wild to use but how many do I save by using it to educate people that these are animals and not some evil myth to be destroyed on sight?
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation   Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation EmptySat Jan 05, 2008 5:36 pm

Well Said Shaun Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation 3521
Back to top Go down
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation   Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation EmptySat Mar 08, 2008 12:27 am

Well done and well said.
Back to top Go down
http://www.caimanhunter.com
Snakes Incorporated
Snakes Incorporated

Number of posts : 572
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation   Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation EmptyThu Mar 27, 2008 10:02 pm

Thanks but I am still expecting some "lunatic" animal rights groups to shoot me down. Information terrorists such as the PETA come to mind. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Reptile Rescue Den
Admin
Admin
Reptile Rescue Den

PostSubject: Re: Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation   Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation EmptyFri Mar 28, 2008 1:59 am

LMAO well yeah.... always some 'do gooder NOT' to screw the world even further!
Back to top Go down
tilly790
Posting Python
Posting Python

Number of posts : 1295
Registration date : 2007-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation   Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation EmptySun Apr 06, 2008 5:01 pm

Good zoos ..such as chester i think are needed today the way things are in the wild.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation   Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation Empty

Back to top Go down

Animals In Captivity and Zoo Conservation
Page 1 of 1