Exotic Rescue Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Exotic Rescue Forum

Run By Reptile Rescuers - For Reptile Lovers!

HomeHome  Portal*  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  Reptile Rescue DenReptile Rescue Den  

Croc Pond - July 1st Edition

Go down 
AuthorMessage
caimanhunter
caimanhunter

Number of posts : 1036
Registration date : 2008-01-02

Croc Pond - July 1st Edition Empty
PostSubject: Croc Pond - July 1st Edition   Croc Pond - July 1st Edition EmptyFri Jul 04, 2008 7:35 am

We figure we'll build the walls with cinder block. 5 feet high, then greenhouse the top for the Texas "winter". Pond is 2-3 feet deep and is 19 x 13. Perfect.

Cinder block will do us good. Insulation-wise, weight, thickness, ease of stacking, easy to set.

My partner owns a paver company. He loads pallets of pavers on the trailer all day long. This will be a breeze. We'll go by Home Depot, get some block, and set to work. We pay in advance for 6 pallets of 8x8x16.

First pallet, 72 block. 6 course, 12 in a course. No problem. Guy brings a loader with a pallet of block to the back of the trailer. Lifts the pallet, pushes it forward, pulls the forks back, pushes the pallet in, pulls the forks back, uses the forks to push it the rest of the way in. Lock the ramp. We're off.

I split, drop the load at the property, turn around for trip two. My partner starts lining and leveling.
Croc Pond - July 1st Edition 070108_1a
Croc Pond - July 1st Edition 070108_1

Trip two goes as planned. Almost the same motions from start to finish.

Trip three. Not so much. For some reason, some manager comes out and decides that pulling the forks out and using them to push the pallet forward was taking too long, was too dangerous and was causing customers undo waiting time while they loaded my trailer. So here's his solution:

4 guys, unloading 72 block, by hand, while the loader sits at the base of the ramp.
Croc Pond - July 1st Edition Loadingblock2
Croc Pond - July 1st Edition Loadingblock1

Here's our day laborer unloading block while I take pictures:
Croc Pond - July 1st Edition 070108_3

2 pallets stacked:
Croc Pond - July 1st Edition 070108_2

This will be our doorway and the view from the front:
Croc Pond - July 1st Edition 070108_5

Here's my partner admiring the work:
Croc Pond - July 1st Edition 070108_4

Done for the day.
Croc Pond - July 1st Edition 070108_6